14.000, 14.100 Capstone 1 & 2, Undergraduate (Senior) Jan- Aug 2016;
The Capstone project brings together students from different pillars to work in design teams, contributing their respective expertise and skills to solve real-world challenges. It also provides them with a realistic design situation where projects usually span multiple disciplines and require team-based efforts to create a solution. A Capstone project is an industry-based project which gives senior year undergraduate students the opportunity to practically apply the knowledge, principles, concepts and techniques they have learned to solve real-world, multi-discipline challenges. It aims to give students a holistic, integrative design experience that requires an extensive range of technological design skills and knowledge such as:
- Identifying needs
- Transforming needs into technical specifications or design strategies
- Applying modelling techniques and evaluating design alternatives
- Working as a team to resolve challenges in designing and producing a solution
- Validating solutions to meet specifications and needs
Students work on the project mainly on-campus with SUTD faculty as instructors and Capstone Partners as mentors during the period January to August. It is a two-term integrated design experience in the senior year. The faculty instructors and mentors will jointly supervise and guide the project team to fulfill the project scope and deliverables. At the end of the project period, a final report will be produced and shared with Capstone Partners.
Samsung Invisible Sound
Team : De Notre Son; Mentor: Samsung Product Innovation Team
July 27, 2016 - Final Push!
June 9, 2016 : Peer to Peer Pinups
April 25, 2016
April 16, 2016 - The Final Push to Review 1
LECTURE - The Creative Leap: Descriptive models of creative design
FEBRUARY 10, 2016 - SURVEY RESULTS
Class Workload Expectations
Class 03, February 5, 2016
SURVEY 3 - (Anonymous)
Using your literature review, we would like to compile a shared matrix for the class, please fill out the following form. Thanks!
Paper Airplane Challenge Recap - Satisficing Design
Class 02, January 28, 2016
For next class:
- Complete team-logo challenge
- Please read "The Conduit Metaphor", 1979, (p. 285 - 297) * hint: pay particular attention to the "Tool-makers paradigm", considering dynamics of communication within your project team and with your industry sponsor.
- Please complete Literature Review Assignment. (optional matrix)